In 2011 the Public Procurement Act (2011) was enacted by the Province of Nova Scotia. The Act is applicable to all public sector entities and is intended to improve transparency and accountability, standardize practices and create a governance structure for public sector procurement in Nova Scotia.
Procurement for the Municipality is managed by individual departments with the Finance Department providing oversight to the organization with respect to procurement practices and issues.
The Municipal Procurement Policy guides the procurement decisions made the Municipality of East Hants.
The Municipality of East Hants (East Hants) will, from time to time, issue public Requests for Proposal, Requests for Construction, Requests for Standing Offer and other requests for which competitive responses are required.
It is East Hants’ practice to share the names of parties who have downloaded or otherwise requested documents related to a procurement competition.
Electronic Submission Protocol
Considering the current state of emergency in Nova Scotia, East Hants has asked all permanent staff who have the ability to work from home to do so until further notice. Our offices are currently closed to the public, though we continue to answer calls and support Municipal services as possible. East Hants recognizes that many of our suppliers are taking similar action.
East Hants has decided that the submission of responses to competitions in person, by courier, or by mail will be suspended until further notice and that all responses to competitions during this suspension will be managed electronically to the extent East Hants has the ability to do so.
In order for this temporary solution to work, we request that suppliers follow the following steps:
- Verify the limitations of your email provider and make any changes necessary to ensure the email can be transmitted. East Hants has tested and verified that it can accept a large attachment (50MB), but we cannot control the file size a supplier’s system can send.
- Put the competition number in the Subject line of the email (e.g. RFQ502XX).
- Sign and date the bid/proposal forms and fill in all blanks.
- Where possible, submit as one PDF file, assembled as it would have been printed to paper. Where multiple files must be submitted, label them in the sequence they need to be reassembled (part 1, Part 2…).
- Please limit the use hyperlinks in your submission and include referenced documents wherever practical to do so; broken or disabled links may mean that information critical to your submission may not be considered. If using hyperlinks, check links are working before you submit.
- Reduce the size of your attachment. In the event an email will not transmit due to size, consider a download location, or break-up the file(s) into logical sections which will transmit.
- Submit your response by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send your email before the deadline. East Hants will be sole authority on whether a bid is received on time.
- Verify your submission has been received.
East Hants will also accept emails directing us to a supplier’s OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, or similar account, or their own web or FTP site, from which East Hants has the permission to download the supplier’s response. In such case, the email must have been received and the associated file(s) must be complete and ready to be downloaded by the date and time the competition closes. East Hants will not accept changed documents after the closing.
East Hants will make reasonable effort to send a confirming email when a submission is received. If you do not receive a confirming email, please contact the Procurement Officer at 902-883-6232.
The Procurement Officer will have access to emails received to the above-mentioned email address and will access a supplier’s email in order to confirm receipt; please do not put any pricing information or response details in the body of response emails. The Procurement Officer will not open attachments until after the closing time has passed.
After the closing, the Procurement Officer, acting alone, will open each submission received and distribute the response to staff for review and, where applicable, evaluation. Suppliers will be notified of their status in the competition after an award is made. Debrief, when requested, will be held by phone at a time scheduled in advance with the Procurement Officer.
East Hants recognizes that some competitions may require a site briefing or a site visit. Where a site briefing is deemed necessary, East Hants will:
- Not hold any mandatory site briefings.
- Attempt to hold site briefings by invitation to limit contact.
- Communicate, by addendum, any new or changed information which result from the site briefing, if any, once all the appointments have been completed.
- Only have group briefings where there is sufficient space to social distance.
Due to the COVID-19 virus, East Hants recommends participants in the site briefing practice suitable protective measures including, without limitation, social distancing, avoiding direct contact, and the use of gloves.
East Hants continues to investigate options for electronic submission and may update this Protocol as the situation changes.
The municipal contact person responsible for the procurement process is Michael Hatfield, Procurement Officer.