Development Control

The Development Control division is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Municipality’s Land Use By-law (zoning regulations). This is primarily done through permits. The Department also manages the Subdivision of Property.

Whenever a building changes use, for example from a jewelry store to a restaurant, a development permit is required to ensure the Municipal Bylaw is being met.

Development permits are administered in concert with Building Permits & Inspections to ensure buildings are being constructed in a safe manner. Accessory structures such as garages, signs and pools also require permits.

A Development Permit may be required for a Special Event. Please contact the Planning & Development Department for additional information.


2016 Official Community Plan

Download PDFs of the 2016 Official Community Plan documents below.  The Land Use Bylaw, Subdivision Bylaw and Municipal Planning Strategy took effect on September 21, 2016. If you have questions regarding the… Full story

Planning & Development Fees

Planning Fees Please note: for payment of fees, we accept cash, cheque and debit. * Major application is defined as: Industrial commercial or Institutional Proposals Building footprint greater than 15,000… Full story


Sign regulations under the Land Use Bylaw apply to all new and existing signs. To erect, place, alter, expand, relocate, or replace any sign, the sign regulations must be met,… Full story


Download the Subdividing Land Brochure. COVID-19 Temporary Measures: While the office is now open to the public, we are still accepting digital submissions for subdivision plans. Digital subdivision application forms… Full story

Private Road Association Agreements

Download the Private Road Maintenance & Improvements Bylaw Brochure   The Private Roads Maintenance and Improvements Bylaw allows the Municipality to add an area rate to property owner’s tax bills… Full story

Special Events

A general guide to hosting a special event in East Hants Download the Special Events Brochure.   Introduction There are many special events held throughout the  Municipality of East Hants every… Full story

Swimming Pools

Download the Swimming Pools Brochure.   The Municipality of East Hants has no regulations requiring fencing around swimming pools. Outside of the comprehensively zoned area of the Municipality a Development… Full story

Fire Inspection

According to the Fire Safety Act of Nova Scotia, municipalities are required to carry out inspections on the following: Assembly occupancies – churches, community halls, licensed establishments, restaurants, theatres, arenas, gyms,… Full story