Infrastructure & Operations
The focus of the Infrastructure & Operations Department is to ensure that the infrastructure needs of both residents and businesses of East Hants are met in a reliable, sustainable, cost effective and environmentally responsible manner with opportunity for growth and community enhancement.
This is achieved by implementing the following objectives:
- Respond to inquiries, requests, and complaints in both a consistent and transparent manner.
- Educate the public about the services they are provided by the Municipality.
- Ensure the effective operation of sites managed and operated by the department.
- Meet environmental regulatory parameters by monitoring and updating systems to reflect current and future targets.
- Improve operational tasks by focusing on activities that provide the best value for tax payer funding.
- Ensure infrastructure is built and maintained in a reliable and cost effective manner.
- Respond appropriately to critical emergencies relating to operational services.
Water & Wastewater
This division staffs the functions of both the East Hants Water Utility and Wastewater Treatment operations. Overall, this involves the operation of two Water Treatment Plants, an Engineered Spring, a Bulk Water Station, and three Wastewater Treatment Plants.
In addition to the operating sites there are a number of supporting pieces of infrastructure that are managed by this division which include, 4 Water Towers, 28 Lift Stations, 353 Fire Hydrants, and an extensive underground piping network.
Solid Waste Division is responsible for the collection, processing and disposal of organics, recyclables and residual waste. This service is provided to over 9,000 homes and businesses in the Municipality. It includes the operation of the East Hants Waste Management Centre (formerly the Georgefield Landfill) owned and operated by the Municipality.
The Engineering Division provides services related to Municipal standards for water, sanitary sewer and storm sewer construction; Municipal standards for road and sidewalk construction; management of Municipal construction projects; technical review of subdivision applications; and, management of Municipal technical drawings.
- Specification for Subdivision Roads in Urban and Rural Areas
- East Hants Municipal Services Systems General Specs
- Municipal Standard for Private Roads
This division schedules work and oversees the contract compliance for maintenance and repairs of municipal roads, sidewalks, and streetlights. That includes 23 kilometers of roads, 20 kilometers of sidewalks, and 1807 streetlights. This division also oversees the construction validation testing of new municipal infrastructure prior to the Municipality taking over ownership of assets.
This division monitors and reviews data from other divisions to ensure compliance of operating approvals designated from the province. The division also runs a watershed protection program, which focuses on building awareness of watershed issues that impact watersheds of interest to the Municipality.