According to the Fire Safety Act of Nova Scotia, municipalities are required to carry out inspections on the following:
- Assembly occupancies – churches, community halls, licensed establishments, restaurants, theatres, arenas, gyms, etc.
- Residential occupancies containing 4 or more dwelling units – apartments, motels, hotels, etc.
- Business and personal service occupancies – offices, banks, service shops
- Mercantile occupancies – stores, markets, and retail outlets
- Industrial occupancies – workshops, factories, warehouses, repair garages, gas stations, etc.
The Municipal Fire Inspector ensures that these occupancies are in compliance with the Fire Code of Canada and provides information on fire safety and fire emergency planning.
The Fire Inspector also works in conjunction with the Office of the Fire Marshall. The Deputy Fire Marshall maintains their authority under the Act, and the Municipal Fire Inspector reports to the Deputy on all matters of Fire Safety within the Municipality.
FIRE SAFETY PLANNING
The National Fire Code of Canada requires that certain buildings develop and maintain a Fire Safety Plan. The Fire Inspector can assist in the development and/or maintenance of these plans and has prepared a Fire Safety Planning Guide. The Fire Safety Planning Guide helps people prepare or enhance their fire safety plan so that they meet the requirements of the Fire Code.
The following occupancies are required to have a formal fire safety plan:
- Assembly occupancies (see above for examples)
- Buildings required to have a fire alarm system including sprinklered buildings
- Areas used for bulk storage
- Areas where flammable or combustible liquids are stored or handled
- Areas where hazardous processes or operations occur
If you need an inspection, are looking for more information about the Fire Safety Planning Guide, please contact Jason Wiles, Fire Inspector by email at email@example.com or through the Planning & Development Office at 902.883.3387.
The Deputy Fire Marshal for East Hants, Ryan Thibeau, can be reached at 902-717-0009.