The East Hants Aquatic Centre Takes Shape
The Municipality is pleased to share with the community the most recent updates in the development of the new Aquatic Centre. The timeline below highlights what has been achieved to date and what you can expect in next steps.
- In January 2015, the Municipality hired a consultant to conduct a feasibility study that examined the community’s aquatic needs and it was determined that there was enough support to build a new Aquatic Centre that would satisfy the community’s needs now and into the future.
- In March 2015, Council approved staff to explore a new Aquatic Centre that would have a six (6) lane, 25 meter tank leisure pool with lazy river, spray features, hot tub and a slide.
- In June 2015, Council approved a capital budget of $17 million and a funding formula committing gas tax dollars for the majority of the project and a 1.5 cent increase in the general tax rate.
- In the fall of 2015, Staff looked at Choice Properties but later determined that it was not a viable option and purchased property next to the Lloyd E. Matheson Centre in the summer of 2016.
- In February 2016, the Municipality conducted an online survey and engaged in public consultation to obtain feedback on the Aquatic Centre. Program requirements determined from the community consultation included the following elements:
- Six-lane, 25-metre program or lap tank (no diving well)
Leisure body of water with ramp access
• A lazy river resistance moving-water pool
• A hot pool with a capacity of between 15-20 persons and a sauna
• A waterslide
• Women’s and men’s change rooms
• Family or universal change room
• Reception, administration and lifeguards area, staff and building support spaces
• Multi-purpose room capable of holding up to 50 people, with storage
• Kitchenette adjacent to the multi-purpose room
• Public lobby and a pool viewing area
• Pool and building mechanical rooms
- In September 2016, the design phase began. A project manager was hired and the procurement process was initiated.
- In November 2016, the design project was awarded to MJMA & Teal Architects.
- In February 2017, the concept drawings and cost estimates for the Aquatic Centre were completed.
- In March 2017, Schematic drawings and cost estimates were completed and at this stage we are still within budget.
- May – July 2017 – Detailed Design Work
- December 2017 – January 2018 – Project Tendering
- Spring 2018 – Construction Commences
- Summer 2019 – Opening
What will it look like?
We made a commitment within this design process to ensure we include many of the elements the public requested while staying within budget, the following items are being included in the design:
- Six-lane, 25-metre lap pool
- Diving Board
- Leisure body of water with ramp access
- A lazy river resistance moving-water pool
- A hot pool with a capacity of between 15-20 persons
- Women’s and men’s change rooms
- Family / universal change room
- Reception, administration and lifeguards area, staff and building support spaces
- Multi-purpose room capable of holding up to 50 people
- Kitchenette adjacent to the multi-purpose room
- Public lobby and a pool viewing area
- Pool and building mechanical rooms
- Parking for 40 cars adding on to existing parking lot
- Splash Pad