Settlement in the Gore area was begun by disbanded soldiers of the 84th Regiment about 1785. In the laying out of land grants for Kennetcook and for the Douglas Township, there was a triangular piece of land, located about four miles south-east of the Kennetcook River in the central part of Nova Scotia, which remained and which was referred to as “The Gore”. The name Gore has two possible derivations – one source says that Gore was named after Sir Charles Stephen Gore who was in Canada as deputy quartermaster general during the rebellion of 1837; a second source suggests that Mrs. Catherine Gore (a cousin to the wife of, Sir John Wentworth, former Governor of Nova Scotia) may have had some connection with the name of the Gore section of Hants County.
Early church services at Gore were held in a barn. A Presbyterian church was built in the early 1800’s, and because it was a small place of worship, it needed to be enlarged by the year 1844. A new church was built in 1885, and opened on May 7, 1887. At West Gore, or Back Settlement as it was referred to prior to the passage of the Dominion Railway through Rawdon, the congregation of the Church of Christ Disciples erected a church building in 1856. The congregational church of Selmah, built about 1880, was acquired by the United Church of West Gore in 1932, moved, and re-dedicated November 17, 1932. A Methodist Church was completed about 1864.
William MacKay was one of the early teachers in 1837. A school house was begun at West Gore in 1865 and a school was completed at East Gore in 1872.
Postal Way Offices were in operation at Gore in the years 1832 – 42 and onwards from 1848. At West Gore a Way Office was established in 1861.
The old Courthouse, standing on “Judgment Hill” for 90 years, was destroyed by fire on July 22, 1956. It had served as the courthouse at East Hants, but its rather isolated position, caused it to be abandoned.
Antimony mines at West Gore began operations about 1884 under the supervision of the Dominion Antimony Mines Ltd. This operation lasted until 1917; antimony was shipped to Wales where it was used to strengthen lead. Farming was and still is another basic industry of the area.