Recreation Access Program
The Recreation Access Policy (RecAccess) is designed to increase opportunities so all individuals who wish to participate in recreational programming offered by the Municipality are able.
The program allows for a 75% discounted fee on up to four registered recreation programs per year and 10 single entry passes to the East Hants Aquatic Centre for each member of a qualified applicant’s household.
Deadline is ongoing. Applicants must reapply on an annual basis.
Who Can Apply?
- All residents of East Hants (any age)
- New immigrants and refugees (resided in Canada for less than a year and not filed a tax return) whose total household taxable income is equal or lesser to the amounts in the following table:
|Family Size||Family Taxable Income|
|1 adult + 1 child||$39,280|
- Taxable income is less than total income
- Many deductions such as child care, RRSP and union dues are deducted to calculate taxable income
- You may qualify and not know it
What does the funding cover?
- Recreation programs offered by the Parks, Recreation & Culture Department (example: summer day camp)
- Aquatic Programs offered by the East Hants Aquatic Centre (example: swimming lessons)
- Does not cover membership, pool party or group bookings, facility rentals and private/semi-private swimming lessons.
How much does the funding cover and for how long?
- You will receive a 75% discounted fee on up to four registered recreation programs offered by the East Hants Parks, Recreation and Culture Department (including Aquatics programming), as well as one 10 visit pass for the East Hants Aquatic Centre per person, per year. This funding is granted on an annual basis, so each year you will need to reapply.
How do I receive my funding?
- Once approved, your funding will be connected to your online East Hants PerfectMind account. This is the website currently used for booking recreation programs.
- You will be contacted by phone or email for more details on how to register using your PerfectMind account.
How do I apply?
- Create an East Hants Recreation Account here and click “Sign up”.
- Once you create your account, you will need your “Contact ID” listed in “My Info” on easthants.perfectmind.com
- Download & print the RecAccess Application OR pick up a copy at the Municipal Office at the Lloyd E. Matheson Centre. To protect confidentiality, we are not accepting online applications at this time.
- Make sure the application is filled out and complete.
- Include proof of household taxable income (include acceptable documents such as CRA Notice of Assessment, child tax benefit).
- Submit your application to the Municipality of East Hants in person at the Lloyd E. Matheson Centre (front desk or drop box) or send by mail: 15 Commerce Court, Suite 230, Elmsdale, NS B2S 3K5.
- Please call 902-883-2299 if you have questions or need assistance with your application.
Is there an age limit for applying for the RecAccess program? No. Anyone interested in participating in a recreational program of the Parks, Recreation & Culture Department that meets the household income qualifications in Table A (above) can apply for RecAccess.
Is there a limit on the number of people in one household? No. There is no limit on the number of people in one household that can use the RecAccess.
I don’t have my child tax benefit information for last year yet? If you have not yet received this notice do not delay your application; you may send us your Notice of Child Tax Benefit after you submit your application.
I haven’t lived in Canada for one year yet (refugee or immigrant) and do not have a notice of assessment? Please contact us at 902-883-2299 to discuss alternate proof of income.
My most recent Notice of Assessment does not reflect my current income, which has been reduced. Can I still apply? The current RecAccess policy requires proof of income using your most recent Notice of Assessment. This is necessary to keep us accountable and to follow the policy as it was passed by Council. If your most recent Notice of Assessment does not meet the requirements in Table A (above), you may not qualify.