East Hants Aquatic Centre – June 2019 Update
The East Hants Aquatic Centre is now slated to open in late fall 2019, several months later than expected. While the delay is unfortunate, the Municipality is pleased to report that no additional costs have been incurred as a result.
“We were optimistic that we’d be able to meet the goal of a September opening date but several factors have caused the delay,” says Connie Nolan, chief administrative officer at the Municipality of East Hants. “The contractor has confirmed that substantial completion will likely be December 2019.”
For now, the latest work at the aquatic centre site includes:
- Ensuring the building is “roof tight”
- Completing mechanical and plumbing work in the basement area
- Pouring of concrete for the lap pool and installation and testing of water lines for the main pool
- Preparing for the pouring of the hot tub and leisure pool tanks, installing water lines and testing
- Begin work on the “dry” areas of the aquatic centre – change rooms, lobby area, multipurpose room, etc.
Aquatic programming will continue at the Milford Pool for the 2019 summer and fall sessions. The dates of the fall session may be adjusted slightly to allow time to move to the aquatic centre in December. The summer schedule has been released and registration starts on June 15, 2019.
More information about fall programming and membership rates for the new aquatic centre will be available in the coming weeks.
One of the largest infrastructure builds in East Hants history, the Aquatic Centre will cost $19 million with the Government of Canada contributing $5.8 million and the Municipality of East Hants providing $13.2 million of funding.
The aquatic centre is designed so that toddlers, children, seniors and people of all ages and abilities can enjoy it. It will host a variety of aquatic and non-aquatic programs and be a hub for the community, all contributing to the social, physical and community well-being of residents of East Hants. Its close proximity to the Lloyd E. Matheson Centre aligns well with local programming offered by the Municipality, the Colchester-East Hants Public Library and Nova Scotia Public Health.
The following items are included in the design of the Aquatic Centre:
- Six-lane, 25-metre lap pool
- Leisure pool with spray features and ramp access
- A lazy river resistance moving-water pool
- Fully accessible hot tub with a capacity of 19 people
- Climbing wall in the pool
- Women’s and men’s change rooms
- Family / universal change room
- Diving board
- Reception, administration, lifeguards area, staff and building support spaces
- Multi-purpose room capable of holding up to 50 people
- Kitchenette adjacent to the multi-purpose room
- Public lobby and a pool viewing area
- Pool and building mechanical rooms
- Additional parking for up to 40 cars joining into existing parking at the Lloyd E. Matheson Centre
- Outdoor splash park
Keep an eye on the construction progress with our Construction Cam.
For more information, please contact:
Jody MacArthur, Communications Officer
Municipality of East Hants
Phone: 902-883-7098 ext. 219