Municipal Property Tax Financing Program
The Municipality of East Hants recognizes that many citizens and businesses have been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Municipality is, therefore, offering a one-time property tax financing program for owners of residential and commercial properties negatively affected by the COVID-19 global pandemic.
You qualify if you are the owner of:
- a residential property that is your primary residence, and/or a secondary cottage/summer home, and you have experienced a significant reduction in income due to the State of Emergency;
- taxable commercial properties (shopping, office, industrial, farm) who have experienced financial hardship through loss of revenue related to the State of Emergency;
- a property that is used for tourist accommodations (e.g., hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts) and you are a registered tourism operator under the Tourist Accommodations Registration Act.
How does the program work?
If your application is approved, your property tax payments will be spread out over 30 months. Your first six (6) payments will be $25 per month. The remainder of your tax bill will be divided by 24 to get the monthly amount you will be expected to pay. A small amount of interest (1.35%) will be applied to your monthly payments.
Note: If you default on any of your monthly payments you will be taken out of the program and will be required to pay the full amount owing and interest rates will increase to the Municipality’s normal rate of interest.
How do I apply?
Residents who believe they are eligible can apply through an online form at nspropertytaxprogram.ca. The information is being collected by the Association of Municipal Administrators (AMANS) and the Nova Scotia Federation of Municipalities (NSFM) on behalf of the Municipality. This information will be sent to the Municipality of East Hants for review and approval.
- The form must be fully completed for your application to be considered
- The deadline to submit your application is August 31, 2020
- The application must be completed by the owner(s) of the property
- You will be asked for your Property Assessment Account Number (AAN) which is on your Property Assessment Notice from Property Valuation Services Corporation (PVSC). If you don’t have access to your Assessment Notice, there is a link on the form which will take you to the PVSC website where you can obtain that information.
A confirmation that your application has been received will be sent by email.
The Municipality of East Hants will notify you when the application has been reviewed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Covid Tax Program
- 1. Do the payments of $25 include interest?01.06.20More
Yes, the $25 payments made for the first 6 months of this program include interest at a rate of 1.35%
- 2. When are the payments taken out of my account?01.06.20More
Payments for this program will be withdrawn on the 10th of each month, starting in October, 2020. If the 10th falls on a weekend or a holiday, payments will be withdrawn on the next business day.
- 3. Do I have to wait for the final tax bill to be issued before applying? If I apply now, will only my current balance be financed?01.06.20More
You do not have to wait to apply for this program, and we encourage you to apply as early as you are able. Financing will include both the interim and final bill for the 2020 tax year regardless of when you apply.
- 4. I own multiple properties; do I need to submit an application for each property?01.06.20More
Yes, you will need to submit an application form for each property for which you are requesting financing.
- 5. Is the loan from this financing program considered a lien on my property?01.06.20More
Yes, this program is considered a lien.
- 6. How will my Municipal Tax Assistance Program (MTAP) application affect my loan?01.06.20More
Approved MTAP applications will reduce the tax account balance owing for 2020/2021. To allow the reduction to be reflected in this Financing program, we encourage all qualified applicants to apply for both the MTAP and this Financing program as soon as possible.
- 7. Do I have to sign up for pre-authorized debit?01.06.20More
Yes, in order to participate in this program, you must sign up for pre-authorized debit.
- 8. If a payment goes NSF, can I continue with this program?01.06.20More
Default of payment of an installment amount when due will result in removal from this program.
- 9. Am I able to make additional payments, or pay off my loan early?01.06.20More
Yes, however the total amount of interest owing in this program will remain payable.
- 10. How and where can I review more information on this program and obtain the proper forms?01.06.20More
You will apply through https://nspropertytaxprogram.ca/ The information is being collected by the Association of Municipal Administrators (AMANS) and the Federation of Nova Scotia Municipalities (NSFM) on behalf of the Municipality. This information will be sent to the Municipality of East Hants for review and approval.
- 11. If I am a Business Owner; what information is required in order for me to prove that my business was shut down or had reduced hours during COVID-19? What sort of financial information is required in order to go on the COVID-19 Program?01.06.20More
Business owners are required to provide the following as proof of financial hardship when applying for the program:
- Financial information including financial statements reflecting loss of revenue
- Notice of business closure
- Notice of employee lay off
- 12. Does this Program pertain only to my main residence or can I apply for each piece of land I own as well?01.06.20More
Resource land does not qualify for this program.
- 13. If I rent out my home can I apply for this Program?01.06.20More
Yes, rental properties can apply.
- 14. Can I still apply for the program if I still owe prior year taxes?01.06.20More
Participants in the program will be required to have their accounts in good standing prior to being approved. If you owe prior years taxes, you are encouraged to reach out to our collection officer Brian Enfield at email@example.com to discuss what payment options are available to you.
- 15. Who do I send the information to and how? Will I receive confirmation that information was received and/or approved?
- 16. If my status happens to change after applying (Ex: called back to work) will I have to make the Municipality aware of this? Is it possible that I could then be removed from the Program?01.06.20More
Once approved, you will remain in the program with the following exceptions:
- You pay your loan in full with additional payment(s)
- You default on a payment