Private Road Association Agreements
The Private Roads Maintenance and Improvements Bylaw allows the Municipality to add an area rate to property owner’s tax bills where requested by private road associations. The funds collected are forwarded to the Association to enable upkeep of their road; the Municipality does not carry out the road maintenance work.
For more information please call 902-883-3387, or email.
Bylaw Requirements & Petition Process
Any private road association approaching the Municipality to enter into an agreement shall:
- be registered under the Societies Act with an elected executive;
- submit a petition to the Municipality; petitions must be accompanied by:
- a copy of the minutes from a meeting of Special Resolution approved (75% majority vote) by the Association indicating the intention to enter into an agreement with the Municipality, and the preferred method of charge.
- an estimated maintenance and improvement budget approved by the Association.
- a copy of the Association’s bylaws clearly stating that the purpose of the Association is to carry out maintenance and/or improvements to the road(s).
- a map clearly showing the proposed charge area, and lots affected;
- enter into an agreement with the Municipality
*The association must submit meeting minutes and an approved budget for all future years by January 31st.
Method of Charge
The charge will be determined in accordance with the provisions of the bylaw and may be calculated based on:
- The assessment of each lot, being an amount per $100.00 of assessed value of the property,
- An charge per property, or
- A charge per dwelling unit.
Where the method of charge is either a charge per property or a charge per dwelling unit, up to three (3) billable charge amounts are permitted for each charge area.
The individual charge amount shall only be based on:
- Lot frontage,
- Lot area,
- Location on the road,
- Type of occupancy (i.e. Dwelling or Seasonal Dwelling), or
- Use of the property (i.e. developed lots or undeveloped lots).
For all methods of charge, each property shall only be assigned one charge amount.
The total amount of the charge to the Association by the Municipality shall not exceed the estimated annual cost of the street maintenance and improvements and an administration charge of 5%.
Payment of Charges
A charge payable for road maintenance and improvements shall be due at the same time each year that taxes and rates are due.
Exemption from Charges
Upon request to the Municipality may exempt from charge any owners within a Charge Area whose property abuts and has access to a public highway and does not have or use access to the road upon which maintenance and improvements are being sought.
Transfer of Funds to the Association
The Municipality will forward half of the requested funds in June and the remaining half in November each year the agreement is in place.