Building Permits & Inspections

Download the Building Permits & Inspections Brochure

COVID-19 MEASURES – In house appointments for building permits are unavailable.  Information for permits can be sent to (i.e building drawings, elevations, lot grading plans, driveway permits, NSE permits). Please provide contact information. Plans will be reviewed by Building Officials and then they will be in contact with the applicant regarding fee payment and next steps.

The National Building Code is administered and enforced by the building inspectors at the Municipality of East Hants. To apply for a permit you must book at appointment by calling 902-883-3387.  During Covid-19 – please see directions above for applying for building permits.


General Booking Information

Booking Type Phone Email
Building Permit Application 902-883-3387 N/A
Inspection 902-883-7098 ext 400 

*subject to the availability of the building officials.

Please note: 

  • appointments are required prior to receiving a building permit.
  • payment accepted in cash, cheque, or debit only.
  • for information about building permit fees see the Planning & Development Fees page.

Building Permit Requirements Connecting to Municipal Services  
Arranging Inspections Sewage Disposal Where There Are No Municipal Piped Services
Public Street / Road Access Water Where There Are No Municipal Piped Services


Building Permit Requirements

Building permits are required for the following:
  • New homes or mini homes
  • Relocating a dwelling or mobile/mini home
  • Constructing an addition onto any home or building
  • Constructing a garage or storage shed greater than 20 sq. m (215 sq. ft) *
  • Any structural renovations to an existing dwelling or building
  • Any non-structural renovations that exceed $10,000 in monetary value
  • Any change of use in an existing building. (ie. single unit dwelling to a two unit dwelling)
  • Decks

*Please note: if you are in a comprehensively zoned area you will be required to apply for a development permit for structures greater than 9 sq. m. 

For more details please see the Building Permit Requirements Brochure.


Information required when applying for a building permit:
  • Floor Plans
  • Building Elevations
  • Plot Plan
  • Cross Section
  • Lot Grading Plan
  • Approvals (where applicable)
  • Location Certificate


Arranging Inspections

New construction requires seven mandatory inspections. It is the responsibility of the property owner, contractor or consultant to arrange for the mandatory inspections. If you are not ready, or the building is locked, there is a $50.00 fee charged per occasion.


Required Inspections
1st Footings Call when the footing forms are removed and before the foundation forms are started.  A surveyor's location certificate is required to verify the location of the footings. *, **
2nd Foundation Call when the damp proofing is complete, underground plumbing installed, perimeter drainpipe installed and covered with six inches of gravel on sides and top. A foundation inspection will not be conducted until a Surveyor’s Location Certificate for the footings had been received and the location verified to the requirements of the Land Use  Bylaw.
3rd Underground Plumbing Unless already inspected at foundation stage. ***
4th Underslab Insulation Inspection In addition, where back-fill height is less than 1 metre above the floor slab, R-10 shall be installed 2' below floor.
5th Framing and Roughing Plumbing Call when the structure is completely framed, roofing shingles are  completed, windows and doors installed, mechanical ventilation, plumbing and electrical work  rough in are completed.
6th Insulation and Vapour Barrier Call when insulation and vapour barrier is complete. Drywall is not to be started until approved.
7th Final Call when the building is complete and ready for its intended use and before occupancy: deck; stairs; guard and hand railings are complete.  Lot grading requirements must be met and a civic number posted before an occupancy permit can be issued. ****

Additional Notes

* Foundation footing and/or slab perimeter drains shall not be placed or directed into a ditch owned and maintained by the N.S. Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal or the Municipality of East Hants.

** Rain leader downspouts cannot be connected to the footing drains.

*** All buildings shall have a backwater valve installed on below-grade drains in accordance with current plumbing/building codes to prevent the backup from a public sewer or private system. It is also required that a backwater valve be installed on floor drains and basement fixture branch drains.

**** Each dwelling shall have a mechanical ventilation system installed that is capable of providing a minimum of 1/3 air exchange per hour.


Public Street Access

Driveway access must be approved by the traffic authority. In East Hants, the traffic authority is either the Municipal Department of Infrastructure and Operations (902-883-7098 Ext 103 / or the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Active Transit (NSTAT) (1-844-696-7737 / To determine if your street is municipally or provincially owned please see our East Hants Residential Road Ownership Directory. If your street is owned by the Municipality, our Road Access Standards and Permit Application Form can be found here.


Connecting To Municipal Services

The Building Code requires that the plumbing system of the house is connected to a sewage disposal system. If your proposed building site is in the serviced area of the Municipality’s water or sanitary sewer services you will be required to connect the plumbing system of your house with municipal piped services. To verify the existence of these services and their location contact 902-883-7098 Ext 107, and to schedule a Water & Wastewater Connection Inspection (a minimum of 48 hours in advance) contact 902-883-7098 Ext 109, or email


Sewage Disposal Where There Are No Municipal Piped Services

Municipal piped services are not available throughout all of East Hants. The majority of East Hants is outside of a serviced area. If your construction project is not at a site serviced with municipal piped sanitary sewer mains you must install an on-site sewage disposal system designed and installed in compliance with regulations of the Nova Scotia Environment (NSE).


Water Where There Are No Municipal Piped Services

Where there is no municipal piped water system, the property owner is obliged to find a source of water on-site (e.g. well). You should consult with Nova Scotia Environment (NSE) to ensure compliance with any Provincial regulations in effect.