Dog Control

The Municipality of East Hants has a Dog Bylaw to regulate dangerous, roaming and noisy dogs.  The Dog Bylaw is administered by the Planning & Development Department.


Contact the Bylaw Enforcement Officer in one of two ways:

  1. Telephone at 902-883-3387 or toll-free at 1-866-758-2299
  2. File a written complaint with our Municipal Office or via email. Regular business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

When filing a complaint, whether verbally or in writing, please include as much detail as possible, including the nature of the complaint; civic address of the dog owner (if known); the date(s) and time(s) the alleged infraction(s) took place; and the name and contact information of the complainant.

If there are concerns dealing with neglect, abuse or abandonment of animals, please contact the Nova Scotia SPCA at 1-888-703-7722.

If there are concerns regarding dogs in Sipekne’katik First Nation, please contact the Band Administration Office at (902) 758-2049.

If there are concerns regarding livestock (i.e. horses, cows, pigs, etc), please contact the Department of Agriculture Farm Animal Health and Welfare at 902-896-2299.

Please note, the Municipality does not regulate cats or other domestic animals such as snakes, rabbits, birds, etc. Please contact your local SPCA if you have concerns.


Effective April 1, 2015, the Municipality has implemented an after-hours dog control service.  Dog Control will be available after regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm).  Calls will be answered by an answering service Monday to Friday from 4:30pm to midnight and Saturday, Sunday, and holidays from 6:00am to midnight.  The after-hours number is 1-866-758-2299, press Option 2.

General calls (dogs running at large, excessive barking, dog off property, deceased dogs) will be documented by answering service operator and given to the Dog Control Officer on the next business day.

All calls for Dog Control will be asked to provide the following information to the operator:

  1. Complete name and civic address of the caller
  2. Complete phone number
  3. Pertinent details of complaint (lost or found dog, barking dog, features of offending dog, appearance, collar, municipal tag)


The Municipality requires that your dog be licensed every year. Having a tag on your dog’s collar will enable the Bylaw Enforcement Officer to quickly return your pet to you if he or she gets loose or lost. A license is good for one year, from January to December, and costs $12.00.

You can purchase a license from the Municipal Office, 15 Commerce Court, Elmsdale, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. You may also complete the Registration form and mail it with your payment. Your tag will be sent to you in the mail.

If a dog is found without a tag and we are unable to locate the owner, the dog is kept in the Municipality’s kennel for three days. If, after three days, the owner is not found, the dog is given to the local SPCA for adoption.


If your dog is lost, the following resources may be helpful for locating and reuniting with your pet: