The East Hants Dog Bylaw (P-100) regulates dog registration, as well as dangerous, roaming, and noisy dogs.
For a brief review of the bylaw regulations, download the dog control and registration brochure.
The Dog Bylaw is administered by the Planning & Development Department.
The Municipality requires that your dog be licensed by January 31st, every year. New dog owners must register within 10 days of receiving your dog. An official dog tag will be provided and must be on the dog at all times. If your dog goes missing, registration ensures dog control staff can contact you in a timely manner and quickly return your pet to you if he or she gets loose or lost.
Annual Registration Fee:
- Dog Tag: $12
- The Municipality of East Hants Office located at 15 Commerce Court, Elmsdale
- Elmsdale Animal Hospital located at 654 Highway 2, Elmsdale
- Mail your form and payment to: Box 230, Suite 170, 15 Commerce Court, Elmsdale, NS B2S 3K5
- Owners of Kennel License in East Hants.
- Service dog.
Please Note: If a dog is found without a tag and we are unable to locate the owner, the dog is kept in the Municipality’s kennel for three days. If, after three days, the owner is not found, the dog is given to the local SPCA for adoption.
Filing a Complaint
For complaints about dangerous, roaming, and/or noisy dogs, contact the Bylaw Enforcement Officer via:
- Online Bylaw Complaint Form
- Telephone: 902-883-3387 or toll free at 1-866-758-2299
- Email: email@example.com
- Complaint Form and/or Dog Barking Complaint Log: dropped off to the Municipal Office, Monday-Friday
When filing a complaint, please include as much detail as possible including:
- The nature of the complaint
- Civic address of the dog owner (if known)
- Date(s) and time(s) of the alleged infraction(s)
- Name and contact information of the complainant
Contact information for complaints and concerns that fall outside of the jurisdiction of the Municipality:
|Neglect, abuse or abandonment of animals||Nova Scotia SPCA||1-888-703-7722|
|Dogs in the Sipekne'katik First Nation||The Band Administration Office||902-758-2049|
|Cats or other domestic animals such as snakes, rabbits, birds, etc.||Nova Scotia SPCA||1-888-703-7722|
|Livestock (i.e. horses, cows, pigs, etc)||Department of Environment Farm Animal Welfare||1-877-936-8476|
After Hours Service
Dog Control is available after regular business hours; call 1-866-758-2299, Option 2.
Calls are answered by an answering service:
- Monday to Friday from 4:30pm to midnight
- Saturday, Sunday, and holidays from 6:00am to midnight
All calls for Dog Control will be asked to provide the following information to the operator:
- Complete name and civic address of the caller
- Complete phone number
- Pertinent details of complaint (lost or found dog, barking dog, features of offending dog, appearance, collar, municipal tag)
Please Note: General calls (dogs running at large, excessive barking, dog off property, deceased dogs) will be documented by answering service operator and given to the Dog Control Officer on the next business day.
If your dog is lost, the following resources may be helpful for locating and reuniting with your pet: