East Hants Aquatic Centre
The Municipality worked with an integrated design team led by MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects (MJMA) in association with TEAL Architects+Planners to finalize the components to be included in the Aquatic Centre, as well as the design of the interior and exterior of the facility. Construction of the Aquatic Centre is led by Bird Construction.
The Centre is designed so that toddlers, children, seniors and people of all ages and abilities can enjoy it. It will host a variety of aquatic and non-aquatic programs and be a hub for the community, all contributing to the health and wellness, social and physical well-being of residents of East Hants. Its close proximity to the Lloyd E. Matheson Centre aligns well with local programming offered by the Municipality, the Colchester-East Hants Public Library and Nova Scotia Public Health.
One of the largest infrastructure builds in East Hants history, the Aquatic Centre will cost $19 million with the Government of Canada contributing $5.8 million and the Municipality of East Hants providing $13.2 million of funding.
The following items are included in the design of the Aquatic Centre:
- Six-lane, 25-metre lap pool
- Leisure pool with spray features and ramp access
- A lazy river resistance moving-water pool
- Fully accessible hot pool with a capacity of 19 people
- Climbing wall in the pool
- Women’s and men’s change rooms
- Family / universal change room
- Diving Board
- Reception, administration, lifeguards area, staff and building support spaces
- Multi-purpose room capable of holding up to 50 people
- Kitchenette adjacent to the multi-purpose room
- Public lobby and a pool viewing area
- Pool and building mechanical rooms
- Additional parking for up to 40 cars joining into existing parking at the Lloyd E. Matheson Centre
- Outdoor splash park