Household Hazardous Waste and Paper Shred Event
Are you looking to securely destroy your confidential papers or are you cleaning up from all your summer jobs, getting ready for winter and have leftover cleaners, solvents and chemicals you want to dispose?
East Hants annually host two (2) solid waste community events in the fall — Residential Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) mobile drop-off and Paper Shredding.
WHEN & WHERE
Saturday, November 14th, 2020 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Mount Uniacke Fire Hall Parking Lot (654 Highway #1, Mount Uniacke)
Sunday, November 15th, 2020 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Lloyd E. Matheson Centre Parking Lot (15 Commerce Court, Elmsdale)
- All protocols noted below must be followed to ensure service.
- Residents should remain in their vehicles at all times – staff/contractors will remove materials from vehicles only.
- Should there be any changes to Public Health recommendations/mandates, the Municipality will issue a statement on our social media and solid waste alert systems.
DETAILS: Residential Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off
1. The following outlines how to bring your materials to us:
- Ensure all containers are sealed securely.
- Transport materials in the trunk of your car or back of your truck.
- Bring materials in open-topped boxes (we can return these to you).
- Please make sure all propane tanks have the valves closed and that there is plenty of ventilation in your vehicle.
- We recommend you wear gloves when handling products.
- Follow traffic signs and instructions at the mobile events to ensure the safety of everyone.
2. The following will not be accepted at the events.
- Explosives, fireworks, and ammunition
- Empty paint cans (please put out for regular collection)
- Medical waste
- PCB containing products & radioactive waste
- Commercial waste or any unknown waste (anything without a label)
- A year-round option for your residential household hazardous waste is at the East Hants Waste Management Centre (1306 Georgefield Road; 1-888-873-3332)
- Residents can contact their oil retailer for used drop-off locations. Retail locations that sell oil must either receive or provide drop-off options.
- Leftover paint can be taken to any ENVIRO-DEPOT™ free of charge.