East Hants owns approximately 23 kilometres of roads, which is the growth of all residential roads since 1996. That ownership includes the maintenance of the road surface, curbing, and drainage ditches in the right of way. It also includes road access approvals and snow clearing through a service exchange with the Province.
- Municipal Standards
- Municipal Standard for Private Roads
- Road Access Standard 2020
- Road Access Permit Application Form
- East Hants Residential Road Ownership Directory (Municipal, Provincial, Private)
- 2021-22 Winter Road Maintenance List – Streets Cleared by Municipal Contractors
- Winter Maintenance Priority Road Map 2021-2022
- Snow Clearing Bylaw
- East Hants Policy for Winter Clearing Standard for Roads & Sidewalks
For information regarding road paving, please see our Paving Petitions page.
Winter Road Maintenance
During the winter months, contractors are engaged by the Municipality to provide snow clearing and winter maintenance activities on roads owned by the Municipality.
Municipal roads are cleared and maintained by Basin-Gallant. If you have any road snow or ice concerns, please call 902-883-2235.
Municipal sidewalks are cleared and maintained by Elmsdale Landscaping. If you have any sidewalk snow or ice concerns, please call 902-883-2291.
Any questions or concerns regarding maintenance for any roads not owned by the Municipality should be directed to the Nova Scotia Department of Public Works (previously called Transportation and Active Transit).
- Milford Depot at 902-758-3009
- Brooklyn Depot at 902-757-2929
- Email at DPW-OCC@novascotia.ca
If you have comments or concerns about roads owned and maintained by the Municipality, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ditch infilling is not permitted on any municipal road. You can see if your road is municipally owned here.
- Ditches and culverts form part of the storm drainage system and as such residents must seek approval from the municipality before work is carried out.
- Decorative or retaining walls are not permitted in the Municipal owned right-of-way. Walls can restrict drainage flow and put restrictions (extra costs) on municipal ditching programs.
- All maintenance relating to decorative walls are the responsibility of the property owner.
- If work has to be done by the municipality on the storm water ditch, water laterals or sanitary sewer system, the wall is the responsibility of the owner.
Open and clear ditches and culverts are essential to proper drainage of storm water from winter thawing. Please do not place snow in the ditches when clearing your driveways. As well, homeowners are responsible to ensure driveway culverts are kept open and clear. Thank you for your assistance.