Senior Building Official
This opportunity is now closed and we are no longer accepting applications. Please look for our current employment opportunities on our employment page.
Location: Elmsdale, NS
The Senior Building Official will be responsible for leading and directing the activities of the Building permits and inspections section, and will develop policies, procedures and practices to be used within the department.
This position will also be responsible for managing inspections and client services for new and existing buildings to ensure they are constructed and maintained in accordance with applicable Codes and Bylaws.
• Grade 12 education plus a certificate or diploma in construction/building field and 2 years technical school training or equivalent
• Building Official Level II - Diploma of Qualification from the Nova Scotia Building Code Training & Certification Board
• Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Building Official, or equivalent work experience
• A member in good standing with Nova Scotia Building Officials Association (NSBOA)
• Eligibility for membership in the Nova Scotia Building Officials Association is required
• Must possess well developed interpersonal and public relations skills as well as problem solving and technical written communication skills
• Must be able to facilitate, negotiate, and de-escalate and resolve conflict
• Must be able to work in a high pressure, deadline orientated environment and be able to manage multiple projects and tasks effectively
• Must have a working knowledge of MS Office suite and experience using a database to manage inspections
• Thorough understanding and practical working knowledge of the National Building code and Provincial building regulations required
• Working knowledge of planning and development legislation and regulatory framework within Nova Scotia Municipal Government Act considered an asset
• Ability to work in a high-pressure deadline-oriented environment required
• Valid Nova Scotia driver’s license required
• Qualifies for overtime pay and may require some evening meetings such as Council meetings
• Works in an environment with the potential for conflict when dealing with members of the public
• Works in adverse climate conditions while doing outdoor inspections and drives in all seasonal road conditions
• This position uses a computer approximately 40% of the time
Salary Range: $69,472 - $86,840
Deadline to apply: January 14, 2022
If you require an accommodation to assist in the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or (902) 883-6203.