Operator – Water and Wastewater Systems
This opportunity is now closed and we are no longer accepting applications. Please look for our current employment opportunities on our employment page.
Location: Elmsdale, NS
We are looking for a full-time Operator to join our Water and Wastewater Services team.
The Operator is responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of the water distribution systems, the wastewater collection systems, two water treatment plants and three wastewater treatment plants.
Responsibilities also include the operation, repair and maintenance of the Engineered Spring, Bulk Water Station, water reservoirs and numerous wastewater lift stations within the Municipality of East Hants.
- Grade 12 education with strong math skills; Diploma in Water Resources Technology or a post-secondary education in a related field will be considered an asset
- Working towards (Operator in Training) or have a minimum of Class I Operator certification in at least one of four facility types as described in the Water and Wastewater Facilities and Public Drinking Water Supplies Regulations (Water Treatment, Water Distribution, Wastewater Treatment, Wastewater Collection)
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be given consideration
- Thorough knowledge of water and wastewater treatment operations and water distribution.
- Ability to interpret various acts and regulations such as the OH&S Legislation and water related guidelines pertaining to a water/wastewater treatment plant
- Includes on call weekend work; At times this position is required to work in extreme weather conditions and around unpleasant material such as sewage
- Must be able to physically lift up to 50lbs and perform strenuous physical activities over extended periods of time (i.e. shoveling, climbing, carrying and mixing chemicals)
- Able to work in confined spaces including but not limited to manholes, lift stations and other locations as required
- Ability to act quickly during emergencies pertaining to the water and wastewater systems
- Must have a valid Driver’s License