Location: Elmsdale, NS
The Municipality of East Hants is looking for a Lead Custodian to join our team. The Lead Custodian is responsible for the day to day operation of our custodial team. The Lead Custodian will also perform cleaning and minor maintenance functions in assigned facilities.
• Day-to-day operations of the custodial team, including inventory control, quality assurance, work reports, log books, timesheets, workplace field risk assessments.
• Cleaning Duties - sweeping, wet/dry mopping, dusting, vacuuming, cleaning/sanitizing washrooms, stripping, waxing and polishing floors, washing walls/windows/ fixtures, and other cleaning duties such as waste (garbage) and snow removal.
• Aquatics Duties – perform or assist with pool inspection checks, pool vacuuming, draining/cleaning hot tub, pool fouling procedures, and filling and handling pool chemicals.
• Mechanical Maintenance – Act as back-up to the Building Maintenance Technician, monitor and adjust where appropriate, various types of mechanical equipment including pumps, filters, boilers, valves and piping, and water leveling equipment. Monitor Pool filter gauges and record pressures. Backwash pool filters and assist with preventative maintenance.
• Safety - Responsible for the safe operation of cleaning chemicals, pool chemicals, and equipment.
• Emergency Response - Be familiar with emergency procedures for the facilities and assist aquatic staff in the event of an emergency.
• Opening/Closing – Open/close the facilities as per established procedures.
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Foreman or leadership experience in managing the day to day operations of a small team.
• Several years of related experience in cleaning methods, solutions, equipment, and procedures used in the care of large buildings.
• Current WHMIS, CPR/First Aid certification, Biohazard or ability to successfully complete.
• Must possess a valid Class 5 Nova Scotia Driver's license.
• Must provide current driver's abstract.
• Criminal Records Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
• Certified Pool Operator (CPO) would be considered an asset.
• Duties and responsibilities to be performed inside and outside in varying weather conditions.
• Work environment may include industry acceptable levels of dust, fumes, noise, etc.
• Work location may contribute to a higher than normal exposure to soils and biohazard environments with contaminants such as blood, vomit, feces, urine, sharps.
• Proficiency of custodial work in children-oriented and vulnerable population environments.
• Heavy lifting may be required.
• Ability to work independently.
• This position requires irregular schedules with evening and week end work.
• Work hours vary from 6am-12am.
• Travel will be required to perform duties at assigned facilities.
Hours: 35-40 hours/week