Fire Inspector/Building Official
This opportunity is now closed and we are no longer accepting applications. Please look for our current employment opportunities on our employment page.
Location: Elmsdale, NS
The Municipality of East Hants is recruiting for a Fire Inspector/Building Official to join our team. Reporting to the Manager of Development Services, the Fire Inspector/Building Official is responsible for inspecting buildings that are mandated under the Provincial Fire Safety Act and Regulations, and engaging in enforcement activities to ensure compliance with the relevant parts of the Fire Safety Act and Regulations and Fire Code. This position also enforces the building code as per fire regulations. This position also provides support as a back-up Building Official.
• Grade 12 plus a certificate or diploma in construction, plumbing, or a building-related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• 3 years of experience as a building or fire inspector, municipal experience is an asset
• Fire Inspector Level 1, or willing to complete the requirements to obtain a level 1
• Eligibility for membership in the Nova Scotia Building Officials Association and the Fire Inspector Association of Nova Scotia
• Thorough understanding and working knowledge of the National Fire Code, Provincial Fire Safety Act and Regulations, National Building Code, MGA, and Provincial Building Code
• Well-developed interpersonal skills, public relations skills, and conflict management skills
• Strong problem-solving skills and technical written communication skills
• Working knowledge of MS Office suite
• Valid Nova Scotia driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
• This position works in varied climate conditions while conducting inspections
Deadline to apply: April 5, 2021
If you require an accommodation to assist in the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or (902) 883-6203
The Municipality offers a competitive benefit package and the salary range for this position is $59,076 to $73,844.