Director of Economic & Business Development
Location: Elmsdale, NS
The Municipality is currently recruiting for a Director of Economic & Business Development. This position reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer.
As a key member of our Senior Management team, the Director of Economic and Business Development is responsible for economic and business development in the Municipality, including strategic and operational planning, the attraction and retention of businesses in East Hants and overall responsibility for the Municipality’s business parks.
The Director also acts as the authority and advisor on economic development to Council and the CAO, and acts as an advisor on economic development in the private sector.
This position is responsible for:
- The strategic leadership, planning and management of the day-to-day operations of Economic and Business Development department in accordance with all Municipal policies and procedures.
- Conducting timely and detailed statistical analysis of existing data, as well as design studies to develop data, so as to measure the financial impact of potential economic development opportunities at the local, Provincial or Federal levels.
- Policy development – work collaboratively with the CAO and other municipal directors, to ensure the timely development of municipal policies which will support commercial growth and protect municipal interests.
- Business Park Management – overall management for the two (2) municipal business parks of East Hants including, but not limited to, marketing and sales of lots; maintenance of all information related to transactions and activities, timely forecasting and positive performance in the area of vacancy rates; ensure availability of land for timely development should opportunities arise; and the development of operational policies necessary to ensure Municipal interests are protected.
- University degree in Commerce, Business Administration or related field, Ec.D. designation would be an asset
- 5+ years of experience in Industrial /Commercial Development, Real Estate Sales and/or Marketing
- Extensive knowledge of municipal government, planning and economic development legislation, development approval processes, business park development, infrastructure requirements for business development, project management and taxation structures
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, business owners, developers, financiers and other government agencies
- Knowledge of research methodology and statistics, management practices, financial management, contract management, banking and real estate practices
- Strong project management skills and negotiation techniques
The salary will commensurate with your qualifications and experience.