This opportunity is now closed and we are no longer accepting applications. Please look for our current employment opportunities on our employment page.
Location: Elmsdale, NS
The Municipality of East Hants is looking for a Custodian to join our team for a one-year contract. The Custodians perform cleaning and minor maintenance functions to assigned facilities.
• Sweeping, wet/dry mopping, dusting, vacuuming, cleaning/sanitizing washrooms, stripping, waxing and polishing floors, washing walls/windows/ fixtures, and other cleaning
duties such as waste/garbage removal and snow removal.
• Perform or assist with pool inspection checks, pool vacuuming, draining/cleaning hot tub, pool fouling procedures, and filling and handling pool chemicals.
• Responsible for the safe operation of cleaning chemicals, and equipment.
• Preparation of work reports, log books, timesheets, and workplace field risk assessments.
• Communicate with the general public as required.
• Be familiar with emergency procedures for the facilities and assist in the event of an emergency.
• Opening/Closing – Open/close the facilities as per established procedures.
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Related experience in cleaning methods, solutions, equipment, and procedures used in the care of large buildings.
• Current WHMIS, CPR/First Aid certification, Biohazard or ability to successfully complete.
• Must possess a valid Class 5 Nova Scotia Driver's license.
• Must provide current driver's abstract.
• Criminal Records Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
• Duties and responsibilities to be performed inside and outside in varying weather conditions.
• Work environment may include industry acceptable levels of dust, fumes, noise, etc.
• Work location may contribute to a higher than normal exposure to soils and biohazard environments with contaminants such as blood, vomit, feces, urine, sharps.
• Proficiency of custodial work in children-oriented and vulnerable population environments.
• Heavy lifting may be required.
• Ability to work independently.
• This position requires irregular schedules with evening and week end work.
• Work hours vary from 6am-12am.
• Travel will be required to perform duties at assigned facilities
Hourly wage: $16/hour
Hours: 35-40 hours/week