After School Program Leader
This opportunity is now closed and we are no longer accepting applications. Please look for our current employment opportunities on our employment page.
Location: Mount Uniacke, NS
We are currently recruiting for After School Program Leaders to join our team to lead fun and educational activities for children in grades 1-5 enrolled in the after school program at Uniacke District School in Mt. Uniacke. This position assists in designing and leading the after school programs and activities including: leading group activities, provide homework assistance, ensure participant safety and enjoyment and organize equipment and supplies.
The hours of work for this position are 15-25 hours per week, Monday to Friday, for the duration of the school year. Days excluded are public holidays, school in-service days, Christmas closure period, March Break and unexpected school closures (i.e. storm days).
The hourly rate for this position is $13.00/hour.
Please note: Leaders who have children enrolled in the after school program may be eligible for registration incentives.
This position is responsible for:
- Supervising children in all activities, ensuring a safe and caring environment
- Providing leadership and participate in all facets of the After School program
- Supervising and maintaining constant interaction with the children at the after school program
- Promote the After School Program through positive communications with parents and children
- Being prompt and actively participating in the program
- Organizing, planning and participating in all activities ensuring programming is a high quality standard (i.e. safe, engaging and inclusive)
- Preparing program supplies and materials
- Adapting the programming to various types of settings (i.e. outdoors, classroom, gymnasium, etc.)
- Providing a safe environment for the participants in accordance with our Occupational Health & Safety Policy
- Performing administrative tasks (e.g. daily reports, safety checks, incident and accident reports)
- Performing any other tasks relating to overall after school program as assigned by Program Coordinator or Manager of Recreation and Aquatics
- Attending and actively participating in all training and meetings hosted by the Department of Parks, Recreation & Culture
- Previous experience working with children in a recreation setting is required
- Must be enthusiastic, motivated, energetic, and reliable
- Ability to problem solve and multi-task
- Strong organizational skills, leadership and group management skills
- Basic understanding of healthy child development
- Must have a neat and clean appearance
- First Aid & CPR
- High Five Training and any other Recreation certificates are considered an asset
- Previous experience working with children with disabilities is considered an asset
- Must pass a criminal records and child abuse registry check
- Preference will be given to candidates with education in or pursuing studies in Recreation, Education, Child and Youth or related field.