(as of 11:00 am, April 3, 2020)
As a precaution and in the best interest of our community and our employees, we have asked the majority of our staff to work from home until further notice and closed our Municipal Office and Waste Management Centre to the general public.
We have contingency plans in place to continue operations.
All services deemed essential at this time will continue to operate to support our community. These include:
- Water and wastewater services – 24hr. Drinking Water or Sewer Emergency 902-883-2110
- Bylaw enforcement (life safety issues only)
- Road operations (life safety issues only) – email@example.com
- Custodial services and building maintenance (systems) are in place as the Lloyd E. Matheson Centre building is used by other tenants (some are still open to the public)
- Dog control (delivered by the SPCA) – 902-893-7968, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Building inspection & permits – Building permit information can be sent to email@example.com (i.e building drawings, elevations, lot grading plans, driveway permits, Nova Scotia Environment permits). Please provide contact information. Plans will be reviewed by Building Officials and then they will be in contact with the applicant regarding fee payment and next steps.
- Emergency management operations
- Water and tax bill payments (anything dropped off in the drop box at the Lloyd E. Matheson Centre will be processed)
- Solid Waste – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curbside Collection continues as scheduled
- Where possible we recommend our residents and businesses register online for service reminders and alerts (available by text, email or call). You can sign up for this service at easthants.ca/solid-waste.
- The Waste Management Centre in Georgefield is closed to the general public. Our curbside collection contractors and commercial haulers can continue to access the site Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Solid Waste Hotline – 1-888-873-3332 for questions related to solid waste, please call and leave a message. We’ll get back to you shortly.
Other operational impacts
- All aquatics and recreation programming for the spring is cancelled. This includes all aquatics programming, birthday party bookings and professional development in-service day programs. We will provide a full refund and our staff will be in touch very soon with anyone who was registered. We will continue to monitor public health direction and inform you of the status of our summer programming.
- The East Hants Aquatic Centre is currently closed. We don’t know at this point when the East Hants Aquatic Centre will be open but we do commit to communicating with you when we have a definitive plan. If you need to reach us, please email email@example.com.
- All public meetings are cancelled until further notice.
East Hants Water & Wastewater Services Update
East Hants Water Utility is an essential service for our residents and businesses. Our drinking water is safe to use and to drink directly from the tap. It is continuously tested, monitored and analyzed to ensure it meets the strict standards of the Province of Nova Scotia and Government of Canada.
The Municipality of East Hants continues to provide water and wastewater services during the COVID-19 pandemic while also taking steps to protect our employees and the public while continuing this essential service to our customers.
Critical East Hants Water operations will continue and include:
- providing safe drinking water
- safe collection and treatment of wastewater
- emergency repairs and response will continue including emergency watermain break repairs
- regular quality control testing
Some of the steps taken so far to protect employees include changes in shift scheduling, new protocols for vehicle use, and setting up social distancing measures in the context of the work still critical to our operations.
If you have a water or wastewater emergency, please call our 24-hour Drinking Water or wastewater emergency line at 902-883-2110.
Thank you for your patience as we work to keep our employees, public and drinking water safe.
What you can do?
We kindly ask that residents do business with the Municipality online or over the phone. You can reach us by phone at 902-883-2299 or 902-883-7098, email at firstname.lastname@example.org and online at easthants.ca.
Pay close attention to your health and know when to seek advice. Please practice social distancing.
Nova Scotia Health Authority has established COVID-19 assessment centres.
- To help you better understand if you need to talk to 811, here is a simple questionnaire.
- If you need in-person assessment, please call 811 and they will refer you to a centre. Do not go to a COVID-19 assessment centre unless 811 has referred you. 811 is experiencing higher than normal call volumes.
Visit novascotia.ca/coronavirus/ for information about protecting yourself and others from the spread of COVID-19.
Follow any advice and recommendations from your personal health care provider and governing bodies such as Public Health Agency of Canada regarding COVID-19.
Practicing good hygiene remains the best defence against illness. We need to ensure that we are all taking the necessary precautions. Residents are encouraged to not panic but to always have 72 hours of supplies in case of emergency.
For More Information