COVID–19 Contractor & Supplier Protocol
Considering the current state of emergency in Nova Scotia, the Municipality of the District of East Hants (“East Hants”) has asked all permanent staff who have the ability to work from home to do so until further notice. Our offices are currently closed to the public, though we continue to answer calls and support Municipal services as possible. During this time, East Hants’ intent is to follow all guidance and requirements as issued by the Nova Scotia Medical Officer of Health and we expect Suppliers and Contractors to do the same.
East Hants wishes to continue working wherever reasonable and practical to do so and we need to ensure that we put in place processes which protect staff, the public, and the Suppliers and Contractors so critical to the work we do. Therefore, any Supplier or Contractor hired by East Hants during the Covid-19 crisis is asked to, until further notice, adhere to the following protocols while working at job sites under East Hants’ control, within any East Hants-owned facility, or on any East Hants-owned property. Where a Supplier or Contractor has their own protocol, they may follow it provided it meets or exceeds the requirements set out by East Hants.
The following applies to any workers who may have travelled recently:
- Anyone who has travelled outside of Canada cannot carry out work at an East Hants Facility or East Hants Property until they have completed a minimum of 14 days of self-isolation, measured from the date of their return to Canada.
- Anyone who has travelled outside of the Province of Nova Scotia cannot carry out work at an East Hants Facility or East Hants property until they have completed 14 days of self-isolation, measured from the date of their return to Nova Scotia. Exemptions to this requirement may be granted by the Director responsible for the area of work, in the event of an emergency.
East Hants, Suppliers, Contractors, and their respective staff will exercise the following recommended practices for reducing the risk of transmission as identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Health Canada, Canada Public Health Agency:
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands;
- When coughing or sneezing:
- cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand; and
- dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible in a lined waste basket and wash your hands afterwards.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe;
- Do not share personal items or supplies such as phones, pens, notebooks, PPE, etc;
- Avoid common greetings, such as handshakes; and
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and especially after using the washroom; and when preparing food, and after blowing nose, coughing, or sneezing. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
All Suppliers and Contractors are expected to closely monitor their own health and to ensure their employees do the same. In the event a Supplier, Contractor, or an employee of a Supplier or Contractor exhibits any symptoms of Covid-19 while working for East Hants or within 14 days’ of having worked at an East Hants facility, property, or interacted with East Hants’ staff they must:
- Advise East Hants immediately after the on-set of symptoms
- If tested positive for Covid-19, advise East Hants
- If still scheduled to do work for East Hants, not return to work.
Suppliers and Contractors should ensure they, and their employees, follow the correct protocol with respect to self-isolation and quarantine in the circumstances.
WORKING AT AN EAST HANTS SITE
Suppliers and Contractors, and their respective employees, must:
- Seek approval prior to visiting any East Hants owned facility or property. Approval will be granted by the Manager responsible for the specific site.
- Only carry out work in approved areas during approved times. Any changes to work scope, schedule or location of work must be pre-approved by East Hants.
- Avoid letting staff work less than two meters from others for prolonged periods unless their role requires closer proximity. In such cases, ensure staff take appropriate precautions.
- Where practical to do so, stagger break and lunch schedules to minimize the number of people in close proximity to one another.
- Use no more than a maximum of five individuals to carry out the work. Outdoor sites are exempt from this requirement.
- Limit the number of in-person meetings held during this period. If an in-person meeting is necessary, the meeting shall be limited to a maximum of five participants, including East Hants’ staff. Exceptions may be made if the meeting takes place outside.
- Contractors and Suppliers are to clearly communicate, through signage and other means, any Personal Protective Equipment (“PPE”), behaviours, screening tools, or protocols they require when entering their place of work. East Hants’ staff would be required to follow these protocols in addition to any requirements established by East Hants.
East Hants, contractors, and suppliers generally shall:
- Practice social distancing of 2 metres (6 feet) whenever possible.
- Use teleconference and video conference for meetings wherever possible.
- Avoid, where possible, sharing items which could potentially transfer the virus.
- Use gloves and other personal protective equipment when exchanging items like goods or paper products (receipts, invoices, cash).
- Where possible, contractors and suppliers will provide receipts and invoices by email.
East Hants recognizes that these are challenging times and that Suppliers and Contractors need time to adapt to the current circumstances. We encourage Suppliers and Contractors to outfit employee vehicles, work trucks, and work trailers, as well as temporary work sites, with the materials and supplies necessary for them to carry out regular disinfection of their hands, tools, work areas, and equipment: water and wash stations, a hand washing protocol, hand sanitizer, or provision of disinfectant wiping products. Suppliers and Contractors who have recurring contracts with East Hants should assess the work they do and, if appropriate, acquire portable handwashing stations.
Contractors should follow the guidelines established by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) found here.
Refer to Canada Public Health for the latest information on the Coronavirus disease.