COVID–19 Contractor & Supplier Protocol
During this time, East Hants’ intent is to follow all guidance and requirements as issued by the Nova Scotia Medical Officer of Health and we expect Suppliers and Contractors to do the same.
East Hants wishes to continue working wherever reasonable and practical to do so and we need to ensure that we put in place processes which protect staff, the public, and the Suppliers and Contractors so critical to the work we do. Therefore, any Supplier or Contractor hired by East Hants during the Covid-19 crisis is asked to, until further notice, adhere to the following protocols while working at job sites under East Hants’ control, within any East Hants-owned facility, or on any East Hants-owned property. Where a Supplier or Contractor has their own protocol, they may follow it provided it meets or exceeds the requirements set out by East Hants.
The following applies to any workers who may have travelled recently:
- Anyone who has travelled outside of the “Atlantic Bubble” cannot carry out work at an East Hants Facility or East Hants property until they have completed 14 days of self-isolation, measured from the date of their return to Nova Scotia.
East Hants, Suppliers, Contractors, and their respective staff will exercise the following recommended practices for reducing the risk of transmission as identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Health Canada, Canada Public Health Agency:
- Practice social distancing: Stay 2 metres / 6 feet apart from other people as much as possible.
- Wear a mask or face covering. In our facilities, this includes common areas like lobbies and hallways as many areas do not have the recommended 2 metres/6 feet of space available to socially distance, particularly when we have multiple visitors.
- If you have travelled outside of the Atlantic bubble within the last 14 days, do not enter any of our facilities.
- If you are feeling unwell and have any of the symptoms on the 811 list, please do not enter our facilities. If you are visiting the Lloyd E. Matheson Centre for Health Clinic Services and are feeling unwell, please wear a mask or face covering and notify Clinic reception upon entry.
- Practice frequent handwashing. Sanitizer is also available throughout our facilities for use.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue. Throw the used tissue in the garbage and wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand rub immediately.
- If you don’t have a tissue, cough and sneeze into your elbow, not your hand.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. If you need to touch your face, wash your hands first.
- Follow informational signage posted in our facilities.
- Do not share personal items or supplies such as phones, pens, notebooks, PPE, etc.
- Avoid common greetings, such as handshakes.
All Suppliers and Contractors are expected to closely monitor their own health and to ensure their employees do the same. In the event a Supplier, Contractor, or an employee of a Supplier or Contractor exhibits any symptoms of Covid-19 while working for East Hants or within 14 days’ of having worked at an East Hants facility, property, or interacted with East Hants’ staff they must:
- Advise East Hants immediately after the onset of symptoms
- If tested positive for Covid-19, advise East Hants
- If still scheduled to do work for East Hants, not return to work.
Suppliers and Contractors should ensure they, and their employees, follow the correct protocol with respect to self-isolation and quarantine in the circumstances.
WORKING AT AN EAST HANTS SITE
Suppliers and Contractors, and their respective employees, must:
- Seek approval prior to visiting any East Hants owned facility or property. Approval will be granted by the Manager responsible for the specific site.
- Only carry out work in approved areas during approved times. Any changes to work scope, schedule or location of work must be pre-approved by East Hants.
- Avoid letting staff work less than two metres from others for prolonged periods unless their role requires closer proximity. In such cases, ensure staff take appropriate precautions.
- Where practical to do so, stagger break and lunch schedules to minimize the number of people in close proximity to one another.
- Limit the number of in-person meetings held during this period. If an in-person meeting is necessary, the meeting shall be limited to a maximum of five participants, including East Hants’ staff. Exceptions may be made if the meeting takes place outside.
- Contractors and Suppliers are to clearly communicate, through signage and other means, any Personal Protective Equipment (“PPE”), behaviours, screening tools, or protocols they require when entering their place of work. East Hants’ staff would be required to follow these protocols in addition to any requirements established by East Hants.
East Hants, contractors, and suppliers generally shall:
- Practice social distancing of 2 metres (6 feet) whenever possible.
- Use teleconference and video conference for meetings wherever possible.
- Avoid, where possible, sharing items which could potentially transfer the virus.
- Use personal protective equipment when exchanging items like goods or paper products (receipts, invoices, cash).
- Where possible, contractors and suppliers will provide receipts and invoices by email.
East Hants recognizes that these are challenging times and that Suppliers and Contractors need time to adapt to the current circumstances.