The next municipal election in Nova Scotia will take place on October 17, 2020.
To be a candidate in either a municipal election, you must be:
- 18 years of age at the time of nomination
- a Canadian citizen
- ordinarily resident in the Municipality of East Hants for six months preceding nomination day, and continue to so reside
You don’t need to live in the polling district that you’re running in, as long as you meet the residency requirement of six months in the municipality.
If you are not sure of what a Councillor does or if you should run or not, click here for more detailed information.
Read the Candidate Guide (2016) for more information.
More information about filing nomination papers will be available soon.
|March 17, 2020||Residency required to qualify as candidate in election|
|September 8, 2020||Nomination Day (Nominations can be filed by appointment with the Returning Officer in the five business days prior – September 1-7, 2020)|
|September 9, 2020||Last day for candidate to withdraw|
|TBD (by resolution of council)||First Advance Poll|
|October 12, 2020||Second Advance Poll|
|October 17, 2020||Election Day|
|October 20, 2020||Official Addition|
|October 24, 2020||Last day to file affidavit (re: removal of posters and return of voters list for return of full or part of deposit) – FORM 12|
|October 27, 2020||Last day to apply for a recount|
|December 16, 2020||Last day to file campaign contribution disclosure form – FORMS 40 & 41|
Who can vote in Municipal Elections?
You qualify to vote if you meet all of the following conditions:
- You are 18 years of age or older and a Canadian citizen on the fist advance polling day;
- You have been ordinarily resident in Nova Scotia for 6 months immediately before the first advance polling day;
- You are ordinarily resident in the Municipality of East Hants and have been so since immediately before the first advance polling day; and
- You are not otherwise disqualified to vote in the Municipal elections.
You are considered a disqualified person for the purpose of a municipal election if you are:
- the municipal Returning Officer
- a person serving a sentence in a penal or reform institution
- a person who has been convicted of bribery under this Act in the six years preceding ordinary polling day
Connie Nolan, Returning Officer
Municipality of East Hants
230-15 Commerce Court, Elmsdale, NS, B2S 3K5