Regular Meeting of Council – Nov 23 2022
Regular Meeting of Council — Wednesday, November 23, 2022
(Meeting to be held in Council Chambers, recorded and livestreamed – excluding in-camera items)
7:00 PMCall To Order
Moment of Silent Contemplation
Approval of or Amendments to the Agenda
Approval of the Minutes of October 18, 2022 Regular Meeting of Council (Policy) and October 26, 2022 Regular Meeting of Council
Thank you to Mac Noble: Warden Roulston
- (63) Thank You to Mac Noble
NSFM Long Service Awards: K. Ramsay
Correspondence for Information
Correspondence for Info
- (62) Email from Tyler Dauphinee, President of Nine Mile River Trails Association seeking annual funding.
- (57) Employment Ad – Finance Administrator – Application Deadline is December 15, 2022
- (56) Letter to CN Re: CN Rail – Mount Uniacke
- (45) Inclusiffy, a Canadian organization, is offering a two-part workshop on equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI), and anti-racism training designed specifically for Council and municipal leaders. Session 1 is December 6 & 8 and Session 2 is January 17 & 19 (online sessions).
- (44) Letter from PVSC Re: Year End Key Dates and CAP Rate (7.7%)
- (43) Response Letter to Mayor Pam Mood, Town of Yarmouth Re: NS to Maine Ferry (The Cat)
- (42) Updates to Tourist Accommodation Registration Requirements by the Province.
- (40) Reminder letter from Christina Lovitt, Provincial Director of Planning, Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing regarding the Regulations Respecting Minimum Planning Requirements, for all parts of municipalities. (East Hants received an extension).
- (38) Municipal Awareness Week will be held November 21st – 27th.
- (35) Nova Scotia Environment and Climate Change will begin a month-long targeted engagement on revised guidance for the measurement and assessment of environmental noise.
- (31) Copy of a letter of concern to the Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry from Warden John Cunningham, Municipality of the District of Yarmouth regarding the impact of Hurricane Fiona on telecommunications systems.
- (15) Congratulatory letter to newly elected Chief Michelle Glasgow and Council, Sipekne’katik
- (11) Letter from the Enfield Fire Department seeking an increase to their levy rate in the upcoming budget. Area Councillors are aware and will bring forward a motion at the appropriate time.
- (10) Please be advised that all branches and departments of the Colchester East Hants Public Library will be closed on Tuesday, November 8th while staff participates in professional development training. Public notices were posted this week.
- (7) HRM Notice of Public Info Meeting – The proposed amendment and rezoning is to allow for the construction of a new biomass plant behind the existing Ledwidge Lumber Mill on 195 Old Post Road, Enfield (700 metres east of Enfield Big Stop)
- (6) Letter from the Deputy Minister of the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing; and the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development Re: Payment of Invoices by RCE’s (water/wastewater)
- (5) Public Works confirmed receipt of the letter from the municipality requesting the province pave the beginning section of Logan Drive, between Highway 2 and Towerview Court, Lantz.
- (4) Notice from the Province regarding upcoming Community of Practice Roundtable sessions for 2-3 municipal reps to meet with staff from the Public Safety & Security Division (PSSD) of the Department of Justice to advance the understanding of the policing needs within communities currently policed by the RCMP under the Provincial Policing Service Agreement (PPSA)>.
- (3) Letter from the Honourable John A. Lohr, Minister of Municipal Affairs & Housing in response to the suggestion that the MGA be amended to enable municipalities to collect open space contributions for multiple unit developments during instances where subdivision of land is not occurring. Suggested amendments have been provided dot the MGA review team for consideration.
- (1) Public Meeting Notice – Plan Update
- Correspondence for Info
Correspondence for Decision
Correspondence for Decision
- (65) Uniacke District Civic Centre (UDCC) Reserve Funds
- (64) The agreement between East Hants and the Dept of Justice to hire two public service employees, at a cost of $134,000/yr for two years, to reduce the administrative burden on Regular Members has been finalized. Council should give the CAO authorization to enter into the agreement posted to the agenda.
- (55) Letter from the East Hants Fire Service requesting funding to develop a training facility in Noel. (submitted via email).
- Correspondence for Decision
Police Advisory Committee: Councillor Rhyno, Chairperson
- (46) Police Advisory Committee Report
Corporate & Residential Services Committee: Deputy Warden Perry, Chairperson
- (47) Corporate & Residential Services Committee Report
Planning Advisory Committee: Councillor Mitchell, Chairperson
- (48) Planning Advisory Committee Report
Infrastructure & Operations Committee: Councillor Garden-Cole, Chairperson
- (49) Infrastructure & Operations Committee Report – November 23, 2022
Parks, Recreation & Culture Committee: Councillor Rhyno, Chairperson
- (50) Parks, Recreation & Culture Committee Report
Agricultural Advisory Committee Memo & Feedback (Weed Control Act Changes): Warden Roulston
- (51) Memo and Feedback from the Agricultural Advisory Committee Re: Weed Control Act changes
Second Reading – Bylaw F-100-8, an Amendment to Bylaw F-100, Local Improvement Charges Bylaw (Road Gap Paving)
- (52) Second Reading – Bylaw F-100-8, an amendment to Bylaw F-100, Local Improvement Charges Bylaw
Business from Councillors
(In Camera) Two Land Issues: A. Clarkson & A. Tapper
Set Date & Time of Next Council Meetings: December 13, 2022 Regular Meeting of Council (Policy) and December 21, 2022 Regular Meeting of Council