Regular Meeting of Council – May 17 2023
Regular Meeting of Council — Wednesday, May 17, 2023
(Meeting to be held in Council Chambers, recorded and livestreamed – excluding in-camera items)
7:00 PMCall To Order
Moment of Silent Contemplation
Approval of or Amendments to the Agenda
Approval of the Minutes of April 18, 2023 Regular Meeting of Council (Policy) and April 26, 2023 Regular Meeting of Council
Correspondence for Information
Correspondence for Info
- (58) NS Health Community Wellness Conversation & Mobile Health and Wellness Clinic coming to Milford (Milford Rec) – May 18th from 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm.
- (53) Slides from a session hosted by the NS Office of Equity and Anti-Racism Initiatives. The Municipality will be required to create a plan similar to the Accessibility Plan to promote equity in the municipality. More details coming Winter 2024.
- (52) Letter from Minister Pat Dunn, NS Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage advising that East Hants Arena Association will be receiving funding to assist with capital costs for rink upgrades under the Rink Revitalization Stream of the Recreation Facility Development Program. Funding will be used toward the repairs to the ice plant structure and roof repairs.
- (49) 12-month notice Letter to NSFM from the Minister of Municipal Affairs & Housing regarding the 12-months’ notice of any provincial legislation, regulation or administrative actions that could have the effect of decreasing revenues or increasing the required expenditures of municipalities. This letter is intended to provide notice for fiscal year 2024-2025 and beyond.
- (48) Letter to Minister Farmer, Department of Economic Development – Regional Enterprise Networks (REN) – review of regional approaches to economic development.
- (47) Joint letter from Minister Brad Johns, Attorney General and Minister of Justice for Nova Scotia and Minister Marco Mendicino, Minister of Public Safety Canada Re: Mass Casualty Commission recommendations.
- (38) Funding Letter from the NS Department of Communities, Culture, Tourism, and Heritage regarding approval of funding under the Recreation Facility Development Program to assist with the installation of three inclusive playgrounds in the communities of Enfield, Walton, and Maitland.
- (37) Invitation to attend the 652 Milford & District Lions Royal Canadian Air Squadron 39th Annual Ceremonial Review – East Hants Sportsplex – June 10th at 1:30 pm
- (36) Approval notice – Provincial grant funding that will be used towards the Walton, Dawson Dowell and Enfield playground construction this season.
- (35) Funding application approved for the “Public Education & Habitat Monitoring: Atlantic Mud Piddock at Burntcoat Head Park” under the Habitat Stewardship Program for Species at Risk (HSP) from the Federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
- (12) Nova Scotia Community Solar Update – May 2023
- (11) Please be advised that a request to present to Council from Food Cycle Science Corp. (Ottawa) Re: Impact Canada Pilot Program was denied. The applicant was redirected to the Manager of Solid Waste to discuss the program. Should a presentation to Council be deemed appropriate, it will be arranged at a future date.
- (9) East Hants & Districts Chamber of Commerce Update for May 2023
- (8) Update on the Policing Standards from the province.
- (7) Community Rider Door to Door Reader May 2023
- (3) Final signed Resolution for FCM Re: Prioritizing Municipal Input in Future RCMP Contract Policing Decisions per Motion C23(108).
- (2) Final thank you letter to The Honourable John A. Lohr, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing Re: Sustainable Services Growth Fund (SSGF) per Motion C23(105).
- (1) Polling District Review Submission to NSUARB – April 2023
- Correspondence for Info
Correspondence for Decision
Correspondence for Decision
- (51) East Hants Arena Association seeks to increase the ice and field rental rates. Under the management agreement, Article 8.2 indicates that “The Association shall establish user charges for the services offered at the Facility subject to approval of East Hants. Any increases to fees shall be approved in writing by East Hants”.
- (40) The application process for the Provincial Capital Assistance Program (PCAP) opened on May 8, 2023. The application deadline is June 7, 2023 and requires a resolution of Council, endorsing specific project submissions. Staff are proposing three (3) submissions be made by the Municipality.
- (39) Request to Present to Committee – Dean Shea
- (32) 2023 Nova Scotia Library Association Conference Sponsorship Request. (Note: There is savings in 2022-2023 in the BRNCHLIBRY cost center. Council can direct staff to set aside funds in the year-end memo of $2,000).
- Correspondence for Decision
(In Camera) Two Land Issues – Verbal Updates: A. Clarkson
(In Camera) Contractual Issue: CAO
Corporate & Residential Services Committee: Deputy Warden Perry, Chairperson
- (41) Corporate & Residential Services Committee Report
Infrastructure & Operations Committee: Councillor Garden-Cole, Chairperson
- (42) Infrastructure & Operations Committee Report
Parks, Recreation & Culture Committee: Councillor Rhyno, Chairperson
- (43) Parks, Recreation & Culture Committee Report
Planning Advisory Committee: Councillor Mitchell, Chairperson
- (44) Planning Advisory Committee Report
Police Advisory Committee: Councillor Rhyno, Chairperson
- (45) Police Advisory Committee Report
Business From Councillors
Set Date & Time of Next Council Meetings: June 20, 2023 Regular Meeting of Council (Policy & In-Camera) and June 28, 2023 Regular Meeting of Council