Regular Meeting of Council – Apr 28 2021
Regular Meeting of Council — Wednesday, April 28, 2021
Note: Meeting to be held virtually – the meeting will be recorded and livestreamed
7:00 PMCall to Order
Moment of Silent Contemplation
Approval of or Amendments to the Agenda
Approval of the Minutes of March 9, 2021 Regular Meeting of Council (Policy) and March 24th, 2021 Regular Meeting of Council
Correspondence for Information
Correspondence for Info
- (70) Notice of Application – PLN21-004 – Enfield
- (68) Thanks to a $5,400 gift from the Colchester-East Hants Public Library Foundation, AED machines were purchased for the Truro, Stewiacke and Mount Uniacke branches (Elmsdale and Tatamagouche already had machines).
- (67) 2021 Hants County Exhibition annual General Government Grant issued.
- (65) NSFM – 12 month notice letter from Municipal Affairs regarding provincial legislation, regulation or administrative actions that could have the effect of decreasing revenues or increasing the required expenditures of municipalities. This letter is intended to provide notice of such changes for fiscal year 2022-2023 and beyond.
- (61) Letter written in response to Motion C21(115) regarding concerns with EHS MFR resumption of services across the province putting rural areas at a disadvantage.
- (43) Notice of Applications: PLN21-003 – Shubenacadie & PLN21-005 – Elmsdale
- (27) PAC – 2021-22 Work Program – April 2021
- (26) Letter from the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board (NSUARB) Re: Water Utility Accounting and Reporting Handbook – Water Loss Assessment
- (20) Letter to Chief Sack, Sipekne’katik First Nation regarding the update to the East Hants Official Community Plan
- (18) Letter from East Hants Curling Association (EHCA) with additional information related to their request to meet with area Councillors. (Request to be reconsidered in July 2021)
- (15) Updated Covid 19 FAQs (Restrictions) – April 6, 2021
- (14) Updated Covid 19 FAQs (Testing) – April 6, 2021
- (13) Updated Covid 19 FAQs (Travel) – April 6, 2021
- (6) Letter from Mayor Nickerson on behalf of the Municipality of Barrington to The Honourable Randy Delorey, Chair, Standing Committee on Law Amendments in opposition of Bill 47 related to legislative changes to allow municipalities to provide funding support to private business to improve accessibility.
- (2) Letter of introduction from Brendan Maguire, new Minister Municipal Affairs.
- (1) Notice from Emily Lutz, President NSFM regarding concerns over the introduction of Bill 47 in the legislature regarding changes to allow municipalities to provide funding to private businesses to support accessibility improvements.
- Correspondence for Info
Correspondence for Decision
Correspondence for Decision
- (58) Letter from Evelyn Jones, (Provincial) Returning Officer – Hants East requesting lease space in the Nova Centre (former Elmsdale Elementary School building) for 6-8 weeks for the upcoming provincial election (dates unknown).
- (56) Temporary Borrowing Resolution (TBR) is required to borrow from Municipal Finance Corporation (MFC) for Capital Project #20-035 Active Transportation – Hwy 214 in the amount of $400,000.
- (55) 2021 Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) Annual Conference (virtual) May 31-June 4, 2021 – Council is asked to select their delegation – Council meeting – April 28, 2021
- (22) Municipal funding for libraries – The province has kept library funding for 2021-2022 at the current levels. However, the East Hants Colchester Library Board is seeking an increase a year early to the expected 2022-2023 level. A previous request was made last year and Council approved Motion C20(32) as a result (increase the Library contribution as long as Colchester and Truro also agree to proceed). The increase was not provided. However, the increase was included in the 2021-2022 budget should Council choose to proceed this year. If Council prefers to stay with the required level, the extra funding can be put in Reserves.
- Correspondence for Decision
Ratification – NSFM Spring Workshop Delegation: S. MacEwan
- (46) Ratification – NSFM Virtual Spring Workshop 2021 – Delegates – Council meeting – April 28, 2021
Ratification – East Hants Sportsplex – Conditional Grant: A. Clarkson
- (47) Ratification – East Hants Sportsplex – Conditional Grant – Council meeting – April 28, 2021
Nova Scotia Remembers Memorial: A. Clarkson
- (66) Nova Scotia Remembers Memorial Update – Council meeting – April 28, 2021
Motions Going Forward to Council
- (48) Committee Motions Going Forward to the April 28, 2021 Regular Meeting of Council
7:30 PMHeritage Registration Hearing – West Gore Cemetery
- (57) Heritage Registration Hearing – West Gore Cemetery – Council meeting – April 28, 2021
7:45 PMCommittee Reports:
Corporate & Residential Services Committee: Deputy Warden MacDonald, Chairperson
- (49) Corporate Residential Services Committee Report – Council meeting – April 28, 2021
Parks, Recreation & Culture Committee: Councillor Rhyno, Chairperson
- (50) Parks, Recreation & Culture Committee Report – Council meeting – April 28, 2021
Planning Advisory Committee: Councillor Greene, Chairperson
- (51) Planning Advisory Committee Report
Infrastructure & Operations Committee: Councillor Moussa, Chairperson
- (52) Infrastructure & Operations Committee Report – Council meeting – April 28, 2021
East Hants Source Water Protection Committee: Deputy Warden MacDonald, Chairperson
- (60) East Hants Source Water Protection Committee Report to Council – April 28, 2021
Second Reading – Bylaw F-100-7, Amendment to Bylaw F-100, Local Improvement Charges Bylaw
- (53) Second Reading – Bylaw F-100-7, an Amendment to Bylaw F-100, Local Improvement Charges Bylaw – Council meeting – April 28, 2021
Business from Councillors
Set Date & Time of Next Council Meetings: May 18th, 2021 Regular Meeting of Council (Policy) and May 26th, 2021 Regular Meeting of Council