Start A Business
Starting a business can be overwhelming, but we are here to help guide your first steps!
From entrepreneurial start-ups to small business growth and expansion and investment attraction, East Hants Economic and Business Development (EBD) team provides support to help businesses start-up, expand and locate in East Hants.
Our mission is to grow and strengthen the East Hants economy by providing assistance to help business start-up and grow and attract capital investment. Services are provided free of charge to clients.
The EBD Team has worked with over 500 companies and entrepreneurs, helping them start, grow and locate their Atlantic Canada operations.
Talk to our Team and we will show you why East Hants is the easiest place to do business.
Start with this list to take your business from concept to reality:
- Determine what permits are needed to operate your business
- Check zoning and permitted land use in the East Hants Land Use By-Law or by consulting the Planning & Development department
- Register your business in Nova Scotia and East Hants
- Register for your Business Number / HST Number with the Canada Revenue Agency
- Explore Financial Incentives
- Check insurance and coverage details from Province of Nova Scotia
- Determine and set up communications tools
- Interview and hire expert help (accountant, lawyers)
- Explore additional information in the Canada Business Network
Disclaimer: The above list is a guide of the most common steps used when setting up a business. Each business will have unique needs and our Business Development Officers are here to help.
A new online tool is now available. Nova Scotia’s online service for business provides easy, secure, and convenient access to your business information. It allows you to:
- Apply for licenses and permits from provincial and municipal government
- Manage your business registrations, permits and licenses
- Complete several transactions at one time and pay online
- Register a new partnership or Sole Proprietorship