Planning & Development
The Planning and Development Department is responsible for the delivery of planning-related services to the residents and business of the Municipality.
The department's activities are primarily focused on the following areas
Planning Policy Matters
This involves updating and maintaining zoning regulations on behalf of Municipal Council, processing development applications (such as rezoning and development agreements) and advising Council on planning-related matters. Documents used for these matters are
- Development Regulation – The Development Section of the Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Municipality's Land Use By-law (zoning regulations). This is primarily done through permit issuance. The Department also manages Subdivision of Plans. Subdivision plan application form.
- Inspections – The Department is also responsible for the issuance of Building Permits and the delivery of building inspection services and fire inspections.
- Other responsibilities of the Department include the issuance of new civic numbers as per the civic numbering by-law, dangerous and unsightly premises and population statistics
East Hants Design Awards - read more here.
Other information from The Planning Department may be received by viewing one of the following:
- Sheds and Garages
- Lot Grading and Drainage
- Site Plans
- Planning Fees
- Sign Regulations
- Private Road Maintenance and Improvement By-law
- Special Events
- Plan of Subdivision Application Form
In January 2011, Ekistics completed and submitted the final Village Cores Plan. This document is a high level document which will provide the Municipality with direction on where attention needs to be given in the village core areas.
Roads in East Hants
The Planning Department is undergoing a Floodplain Mapping Study. Please read here for more information of the Floodplain Mapping Study Proposal.
John Woodford - Director of Planning and Development
Paul Himelman - Building Inspector
Dean Partridge - Building Inspector
John Strickland - Fire Inspector
Rachel Gilbert - Senior Planner - currently on maternity leave
Debbie Uloth - Project Planner - currently on maternity leave
Sean Gillis - Planner
Jared Dalziel - Planner
Kelly Ash - Development Officer
Erin Berry - GIS Technician
Natalie Cormier - Planning and Development Technician